Saturday, October 3, 2015

A Troubling Obsession…My Addiction to Tuesday Morning

The unassuming exterior hides treasures within
     My love affair with Tuesday Morning actually started by complete happenstance.  I’d seen the storefront for years, yet never ventured inside (though this could be due the absolutely magical Mexican Food restaurant that sucks all my focus and resides in the exact same strip mall).  Honestly, I should probably be thanking my lucky stars: the amount of money I spend on a taco-enchilada combo is far less than my every trip to the crafting promise land, but no matter.  
     I discovered this beautiful craft haven through one of my neighbors, who casually mentioned to me that she had seen some punches the last time she had visited Tuesday Morning.  I sat on this tip for a few months, not fully trusting the offhand mention of goodies.  Maybe subconsciously I was avoiding the disappointment that would come from amazingly cheap craft supplies being less quality than envisioned, or maybe I had some prediction of how much money could start to flow freely from my hands the second I entered the store, but eventually I bucked up and made the short trip over.  It is at this moment that my crafting life changed irrevocably.  
     Paper pads, brads, and chipboard Oh My!  Tuesday Morning exposed me not only to new products (believe it or not I didn’t own a single 6x6 paper pack before my new love affair), but it also gave me access to brands I had only seen on the beautiful world of the internet.  The prices are unbeatable and often irresistible, and the lure of the hunt is something that draws me in each time.  The troubling amount of satisfaction I feel from unearthing a Pink Paislee christmas ephemera pack or and American Crafts travel paper pack is only comparable to Indiana Jones first laying eyes upon the Arc of the Covenant.  The magnificent deals offered feel even more rewarding as I convinced myself that I’ve discovered them on the sweat of my own brow.
     The somewhat bittersweet fact of my geography is that I am in veritably surrounded by Tuesday Morning locations.  Not only do I visit the one closest to me, I also hold the longer trips to other locations as treats of sorts.  The staff at the closest store is now unsurprised when they see me day after day, we have formed an informal relationship of sorts.  I have unintentionally learned their shifts. Now, I look forward to hearing the familiar trill of the Scottish Woman and the comforting sight of the girl with the Rebel Alliance tattoo (I’m still working up the courage to tell her how awesome it is, but I am slightly concerned that it means something else other than an homage to Star Wars and thus would breed quite an awkward encounter).
     The feeling I might need to cut back on my Tuesday Morning adventures has begun to creep in to my life, but somehow I have a sneaking suspicion that despite the worrisome looks from friends and family, this love affair will continue to rage as fiery as the forge of Mount Doom (-a Lord of the Rings and a Star Wars reference in the same post!  I hope the venn diagram between craft lovers and fantasy fanatics holds quite a large crossover).  
     As every Tuesday Morning is slightly different, I would love to hear about your guys’ purchases and experiences at your local stores! I’m a sucker for a great crafting haul...

No comments:

Post a Comment